Foodie Penpals - September Reveal!

I first heard about Foodie Penpals through an American website The Lean Green Bean, which directed me to the UK 'head quarters' over at the Rock Salt Blog .. So what is Foodie Penpals you ask?!

 
Food Penpals is fantastic scheme that allows bloggers and readers of blogs to be introduced to amazing new foods by sharing personal favourites. Each month you are teamed up with two individuals - one person who will be sending you a food package, and another who you will send a package to (you never send a package to the same person who's sending you one). You're encouraged to ask questions to the person who you're sending a food package to make sure that what they receive is to their taste! And anyone can join!
 
So, first up.. what did I receive?!
 
 
 
I think I struck lucky to be honest - I was teamed up with the amazing Kristina from Germany - she has a fabulous blog which you can see [here] and she sent me not only German delights but home-made treats too!

My Foodie Penpals Food Package - including a little recipe book!
I was over the moon when I opened Kristina's package - it was like an over-seas 'Nic's Nutrition' perfect bundle! I thought it would be nice to include comments from Kristina to help explain what was in the package, along with a little summary from me.. read on for more!



From top left clockwise...

Red Beets and Horseradish Bread Spread: Although red beets and horseradish aren't particularly German, I connect it with the Rhenish (the region around Cologne) kitchen as it is served with family dinners on a regular basis and I just love the spread’s colour! - Nic: This spread tastes amazing - and you cannot 'beat' the colour! I enjoyed it with chili in replace of sour-cream last night.. delicious!
 
Green Tea: This is a green tea hibiscus blend than can either be enjoyed hot in winter or as ice tea in summer - Nic: This is officially my new favourite flavoured green tea. I'd never tried green tea with hibiscus before and because of my strong dislike for green tea and lavender (aka another 'plant/flower') I was a little hesitant to try, but super delighted at how nice it tasted. Definitely on the hunt for this in England! *antioxidant power*

Homemade Cashews with Rosemary and Thyme: The recipe for this snack comes from Authentic Suburban Gourmet Blog and I love its taste so much. It’s really easy to prepare as well.  - Nic: One word: Amazing!! These were demolished as soon as the package arrived.. the most delicious tasting cashews ever - you can click [here] for Kristina's amazing recipe!

Coconut Oil: I had already read about the health benefits of coconut oil but never tried it. Nichola said that she was interested in trying it so I bought her a jar. I’m excited to get to know what she thinks of it. - Nic: This oil smells amazing. It's a 'hard' oil and all I can say is watch this space for a future blog about it :) - any suggestions though please let me know!


From top left clockwise...

Sonnentor Spice Blends: I love all kinds of spices and am quite proud of my collection. I always try to buy organic spices and herbs without artificial additives and flavour enhancers. Sonnentor spices are organic and of high quality and they’ve got wonderful blends both for sweet and savoury dishes. - Nic: I was really impressed with these spices. So far I've used them for sprinkling on home-made sweet potato wedges with a dash of vegetable oil.. delicious!
 
Pumpernickel: One thing that Germans always complain about when they’re abroad is the lack of “real“ bread in the supermarkets and bakeries. German bread is usually made of sour or yeast dough and contains a lot of fibre. Pumpernickel is a bread that is very dark and tastes a little sweet. It is made from rye flour and whole rye berries and originates in Westphalia. The name “Pumpernickel“ is supposed to mean “devil’s fart“ and it isn’t wondrous where that name comes from as Pumpernickel stimulates the digestive system... - Nic: Haha! This really did make me laugh.. but what yummy bread it was (in moderation). I enjoyed a couple of slices with my soup for lunch at it really is so rich and nutritious!
 
Homemade Shortbread Sandwiches: I found this recipe on Healthy Green Kitchen (www.healthygreenkitchen.com) but altered it a little in regard to the curd and the dough for the shortbread. In summer, when lots of different fruit is available, you can create all kinds of shortbread sandwiches. Nic: I love a naughty sweet treat.. *Divine*
 
I want to say a MASSIVE thank you to Kristina for this amazing package - it really has made my month!!


So then.. what did I send?! I was teamed with a lovely girl called Lizzie from Lancashire and when I contacted her I knew that she wanted some healthy snacks to keep her going at work, as well as before and after exercise.. soo I got my thinking cap on and put this little lot together...

The package I sent to Lizzie..

I sent Lizzie a few personal favourite's and here is what she had to say about them..!

Lizzie: This was my first month taking part in the ‘Foodie Penpals’ scheme, and I had no idea what to expect!! Within a couple of days of the months’ matches being sent out, I received a lovely email from Nic introducing herself and a list of questions about what I like to eat – examples included whether I would prefer snacks or ingredients to cook with, what foods I did and didn’t like, and whether I’d like anything specific from the area she lives in.
I replied saying that I often found it quite hard to snack healthily during the day, due to the availability and ease of getting junk food from vending machines and local shops. However I do also like to cook, and that I tend to cook whole meals more than baking cakes.
Cue a couple of weeks and a few friendly update emails….. and a big box landed on my doorstep! Inside were…….
SCHOOL BARS – These are made of pureed, solidified fruit and resembled some kind of sausage! Mine were strawberry and apple flavour, and they were so small and easy to pop into a handbag or pocket that they were a great little boost whenever I started flagging.
FRUIT, NUTS AND SEED MIX– This was a great little packet full of all sorts of things that made me feel good when I ate them! I stashed the bag in my desk at work and occasionally grabbed a handful throughout the day – definitely something I’ll be restocking when it runs out.
VARIOUS TEAS – Nic, you must have read my mind on this one. I am an avid drinker of tea, especially green tea which I always have a cup of on the go! I was sent a box of ‘peach and cherry blossom’ green tea which filled the room with an amazing aroma whenever I made a cup, a bizarre but strangely compelling tea called ‘Chocko Shocko’ which reminded me a bit of a Chai, a nettle and mint tea (two of my favourite herbal teas rolled into one!) and of course, the classic Tetley and Earl Grey teabags.
MANUKA HONEY – Manuka honey is something that I’d been curious about for a while, but the price tag of the big pots in the supermarkets scared me off trying it on a whim. Nic sent me a teeny-tiny little pot of it, and having tried it I won’t be scared of the price tag anymore as this stuff is wonderful! When feeling a little bit snuffly and run down, I had a teaspoon of it before bed, and woke up the next morning feeling fresh and healthy! Fantastic stuff.
SPICE MIX – I was sent a really useful little selection of about 6-8 herbs and spices,  that came along with a recipe for a chicken and potato dish in which they would all be used. These spices came in little pinch pots which worked really well, and made them really easy to store.
So all in all, this was a fantastic introduction to being a ‘Foodie Penpal’……. THANKS NIC!!!!

(Yay!)


My letter to Lizzie - 'what's what' !

I hope you've enjoyed this post - and don't forget that you can sign up too using the links at the top of this page :)

Nic x

P.S My healthy recipes start on YouTube TODAY so don't forget to SUBSCRIBE with your Gmail account so you don't miss out! [Click Here]

0 comments:

Post a Comment